Monday, July 5, 2010

Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness (2008)


Alright so here I am posting on a Monday like I said I would. Also I'm not going to bother with YouTube previews anymore 'cause I don't like how even the smallest-sized window takes up a ton of space.

So here is my favourite album of 2008: Deathconsciousness by Have a Nice Life. I've been listening to it since it was released, but it didn't become one of my favourite albums until fairly recently. Whether this was because of it's length (it's a double album with a running time approaching an hour and a half) or just the fact that it is so different from anything I had heard at the time I'm not sure.

It really is a unique album. The fact that they have been able to find their sound on their first album is amazing to say the least. Favourite tracks include Hunter, a longer track that slowly builds with its infectious drum rhythm, as well as Deep, Deep, an angry post-punk anthem with washes of dreamy synths during the chorus. But really the entire album is fantastic.

This album is pretty obscure, as the band doesn't even have a Wikipedia page (edit: they actually do have one now but didn't until June 30th of this year) and it's possible that it was made in some dude's basement. But the fact that it is one of my favourite albums really goes to show that good music doesn't always come from signing to a big studio and spending a ton of cash to make a professional recording. It really is the future of music, too bad most of the world isn't ready for it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment